THE AUDIOBOOK COVER
The design in the product page template. Brief specified that the sides must fade to dark and all fonts containing the product information were to be left as supplied.
THREE OUT OF HOME ADVERTSING MOCK UPS
As a lot of customers use Audible while travelling, and that is used as a focus in their advertising campaigns previously, I decided to apply posters to walls in train stations and to bus shelters.
Here are my final ideas, I wanted to develop both further as they both have strengths and weaknesses.
Improvements I’ve made; enlarged the badge and cleaned up its sides, added more shadow to make the badge come forward and altered the shirt so it’s no longer straight giving it a bit more life.
The sheriffs badge works well on its own and works strongly with genre of the audiobook, however I’m struggling to develop a background. I fear the badge on the jacket is too busy and I may struggle adding it to a banner effectively - potentially I could illustrate the rest of the cowboys shoulder.
The toy gun works well as a fully rounded idea, both the cover and the banner, however I fear the concept is lost in the cover itself as it is a close up of the entire object - perhaps I will do a survey to see if it’s recognisable.
Next steps- try the needed elements (the audible banner) on both designs to see how they look as a completed identity.
Here I am developing another thumbnail, one that I thought would work best as an interesting cover and banner as there is more to seen than shown in the square audiobook cover that could be revealed later, in the banner.
I experimented with outlines, block colour, gradients and texture; the final style is the strongest.
Here’s some development of a thumbnail idea, in which the title of the audiobook title is encased in a sheriff badge.
Here you can see the initial sketch I’ve started with and some experimentation with colouring/style. I wanted to try out a less complex flat colour style illustration and a realistic style. I was initially worried that the realism would lead to the outcome becoming too busy but it’s definitely my the strongest of the two styles.
Below is a before and after of me adding texture to my illustration, using the rusted decay brush on Procreate. The original design was creating using only the wet acrylic brush.
Some short notes made when researching into the American Frontier (the old west/ the wild west). To gain more knowledge on the books focus, in order to make an identity that clearly portrays the theme and grabs the target audienes attention.